Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- Combo of seasonings sprinkled over the chickpeas (smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic salt)
Kale Caesar Salad
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (linked my favorite brand below) or you can use tahini
- ½ lemon, freshly squeezed
- 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 4-5 capers, smashed and a splash of caper juice (trust me)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch Lacinato kale
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. To prepare the Roasted Chickpeas, toss the chickpeas with olive/avocado oil and seasonings of your choice in a bowl, then pour them into a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange them into a single layer, then bake until crisp, about 30-40 minutes.
Now it’s time to prepare the vegan caesar dressing. Stir together the vegan mayo/tahini, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, smashed capers, caper juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir until smooth, be sure to try it. You want to make sure the flavors are to your liking.
To assemble the salad, remove the tough stems from the kale leaves and use your hands or a sharp knife to rip the kale into small pieces. I julienned my kale, similar to how you would cut basil. Toss the leaves with the dressing. I always toss the dressing with the salad, I want to make sure the dressing is coating the kale.
When the chickpeas are done roasting, let them cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle them generously over the kale salad and serve. Leftovers can be stored separately in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.